Local Agenda LA 21 Putrajaya
|1.0||INTRODUCTION : UNDERSTANDING LOCAL AGENDA ( LA ) 21|
Agenda 21 is essentially a global action plan or blue print for sustainable city development and management that was born out of Rio De Janeiro Declaration, Brazil in 1992 attended by 178 countries including Malaysia. The United Nations Conference on Environment and Development (UNCED) known as the Earth Summit developed Agenda 21, a blueprint for action to achieve sustainable development. Agenda 21 called upon governments around the world to take a course of action to implement that blueprint.
What is Local Agenda 21?
Local Agenda 21 is a program aimed at implementing sustainable development at the local level. A Local Agenda 21 program comprises systems and processes to integrate environmental, economic and social development. Founded on a strong partnership between local government and the community, the progress towards local sustainable development will be guided by the preparation of a long term strategic action plan that integrates existing policies and programs and an agreed future direction.
Local Agenda 21 provides the basis for debate on and awareness of sustainable development at the community level. The main focus of Local Agenda 21 is to involve all groups in sustainable development planning in the major areas of economic, social and environmental development. This focus on participation clearly sets Local Agenda 21 apart from other initiatives which focus more on the achievement of outcomes for sustainable development.
|1.1||SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT CONCEPT|
What Does Sustainable Development Mean?
“Development that satisfies present needs without compromising the ability of future generation to satisfy their needs. It includes human development, food, safety and energy resource. It must also integrate economic, social and environment priorities”.
( Source: World Commission on Environment & Development)
|1.2||THREE (3) PARTIES SMART PARTNERSHIP|
City Hall / Municipal Hall
Commercial & Industrial Non-formal Sector
|1.3||WHAT ARE THE KEY OUTCOMES FROM A LOCAL AGENDA PROGRAM|
There are significant positive outcomes that should result from an effective Local Agenda 21 process, these include:
- Stronger community and local government partnership;
- Ongoing community involvement in the resolution of sustainable development issues;
- Integrated decision making which takes all foreseeable economic, social and environmental considerations into account
- Development, implementation and periodic review of a long term, integrated action plan which incorporates sustainable development principles
- Changes which promote a continual improvement toward sustainable development.
|1.4||BENEFITS OF IMPLEMENTING LOCAL AGENDA 21 TO THE LOCAL AUTHORITY|
There are potentially many benefits from undertaking a Local Agenda 21, these include:
- Managing change more effectively
- More effective policy development
- Enhanced capacity to meet community needs
- Greater community cohesion
- Stronger regional links
- Cost Savings
- A Healthy and Vibrant Community
- Staying Relevant
|1.5||ELEMENTS IN LOCAL AGENDA 21 PROCESS|
Important Points :
- A key element of a Local Agenda 21 is improvement of the frameworks and systems used for planning, policy making and implementing because they can be more influential and enduring than specific actions, which will change regularly.
- The exact approach taken by each council will vary depending on its particular circumstances (resources, history of working on sustainability, involving the community and level of commitment.
- The type of issues that a community focuses on will also vary from one local authority to another.
|1.6||THE CHARACTERISTICS OF AN LA 21 PROGRAM|
- It addresses physical, economic, social and environmental/ ecological needs together.
- It includes a consensus on a vision for a sustainable future.
- It includes a participatory process with local residents.
- It establishes a Stakeholders Group, Forum or equivalent multi-sectoral community group to oversee the process.
- It contains an Action Plan with concrete long-term targets.
- It has a monitoring and reporting framework.
- It has indicators to monitor progress.
- It has tangible activities and programs to actualize its Action Plans.
|1.7||PARTNERSHIP / STAKEHOLDERS IN LOCAL AGENDA 21|
The LA21 partnership mechanism is unique in its multi-sector stakeholder representation dan coverage of issues. Sustained stakeholder participation through effective partnership mechanisms is the foundation of a successful LA21 programme.
In LA21, local governments are required to consult with the local community - citizens, minority groups, businesses and industry; research associations; regional and national governments; non-government organisations; environmental and social and civic groups, to create a shared vision for future sustainable development and to develop integrated local environmental plans, policies and programs targeted at achieving sustainable development. The consultation process is designed to raise awareness and encouraged the formation of business partnerships and information and technical exchange programs.
This formal multi-sector partnership mechanism is a key element that differentiates LA21 from other community programmes that are currently practiced in Malaysia. The reason for working together with other stakeholders is to enable stakeholders to address issues that they are not able to do individually by themselves.
|1.8||ROLE AND FUNCTION OF STAKEHOLDERS IN LOCAL AGENDA 21|
Heads of departments play a pivotal role in the LA21 partnership mechanism. They provide valuable information and data on policies, by-laws and development plan to other stakeholders to assist them in understanding issues and limitation that currently hinder improvement.
With the LA21 approach, stakeholders from government agencies outside the Local authority are invited to participate in LA21. These agencies provide valuable insight into the larger issues that surrounds the city and offer a larger context to the community stakeholders.
The community is made up of diverse interests and backgrounds. Community stakeholders’ representatives bring the views of their respective communities to the LA21 partnership. Conversely, they also bring the resolution of LA21 back to their communities and neighbourhoods. Community groups are vital for implementing many of the LA21 Action Plan programmes and activites, which had been planned. These stakeholders play an important role to effectively represent their constituencies as well as disseminate information and to mobilise them into action.
Special Interest and Other Groups
Special interest groups are members from the community that have specific interests or expertise that relate to sustainable development. Special interest groups bring interesting and pertinent information and skills into the LA21 partnership. The special interest groups represent the community’s resources for expert technical input that will be invaluable in community-based activities.
Business and industries
Businesses and industries play a very important role in LA21 partnership. Many business and industry practices impact directly on the environment such as waste and pullution. Conversely, there are also significant business activities that contribute to the environment such as recycling of waste materials. Local business associations also play important roles in the LA21 partnerships. Besides contributing material resources, businesses and industry were also a source of invaluable information and skills that helped with LA21.
|1.9||BENEFITS OF LOCAL AGENDA 21 TO YOU|
As an individual, you could benefit from LA21 by:
- Your views being taken into account in the planning and implementation of LA21 programs to improve the quality of life in your town
- Your local authority will be more sensitive and effective to your needs
- A more conducive environment and a higher quality of life
- Having more pride and ownership over your surroundings
As an organization or establishment, you could benefit through:
- Project the image of your organization as a good corporate citizen sensitive to the needs of the community
- Increased effectiveness through co-operation with other stakeholders in you community
- Opportunity to participate in the planning and development in your surroundings with the local authority
- Opportunity to give valuable input to policies and practices that will influence your surroundings and the community's quality of life
- Opportunity to serve the community
As a representative of the government, you could benefit through:
- Increased understanding and cooperation between government and the community
- Increased community support and participation in programs that will benefit all
- Further improve the image of your department as one that practices good governance through public participation, transparency, consensus building, effectiveness and efficiency, accountability and strategic vision
|1.10||HOW TO PARTICIPATE IN LOCAL AGENDA 21|
- Join a social or environmental organization, program or activity in your area
- Encourage children and friends to care for the environment
- Contact your local authority and join their physical, environmental , social and economic programs
|2.0||IMPLEMENTATION OF LOCAL AGENDA 21 PUTRAJAYA|
The Local Agenda (LA) 21 Putrajaya commenced on 18 December 2008.
3.1 The Organization Structure
i.The Main Committee
The Local Agenda 21 Main Committee was established to oversee the overall implementation of LA 21 Putrajaya programs and activities towards sustainable development. The establishment of the Committee is also to enhance the role of Perbadanan Putrajaya, as the level of governance closest to the people, to play vital role in educating, mobilizing and responding to the public to promote sustainable development.
The Main Committee consists of 19 members including senior officials of Perbadanan Putrajaya, residents associations and representatives of other government agencies, private sector, and relevant NGO’s.
The Main Committee also facilitates in approving relevant action plans established through the working committee level, and providing advices in all related matters in the implementation process of LA 21 Putrajaya.
ii. Working Committee
A Special Working Committee were formed to undertake and spearhead the distinct tasks of issues identification, preparation of Action Plans, implementation and monitoring of programmes and activities identified through neighborhood forums, public hearings and focus group discussion. The three Working Committee formed, are as follows:
- Physical Development Committee
- Social and Economy Development Committee
- Landscape and Environmental Development Committee
iii. LA21 Putrajaya Main Secreteriat
The secretariat provides secretarial and logistical support to the LA21 Committee as well as the special work committee.